Note the change in time to what was printed in the brochure.
Following the Saugeen Tract Agreement Treaty 45 1/2, signed on August 9th, 1836, between the Saugeen Ojibwa and Odawa and the government of Upper Canada, a reserve along the western shore of Owen Sound was set aside for the band headed by Chief Newash. In 1842, the Indian village of Newash, contained fourteen log houses, a school and a barn.
Wesleyan Methodist missionaries ministered to the Indians. In 1845, a frame chapel was completed on the corner of 24th Street and 4th Avenue West, Owen Sound. In 1857, the Reserve, containing some 11,000 acres, was ceded to the government and most of the Indians moved to Cape Croker.
Speaker Grey County Historical Society Board Member Susan Schank with special guest singer/song writer and one of Owen Sound's poet laureates for 2015-17, Larry Andreas Jensen, singing his song "Burial Ground".
Please plan to come out and join us.