Sunday, September 6, 2015

September Meeting in Massie

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 1:30 pm Massie

Massie had its beginnings in the 1840s. By the late 1850s most of the area farms had been settled. One of the area’s pioneers, the eponymous Alexander Massie (to whom Massie owes its name), developed a mill site on the Bighead River near its source. This site is on the southwest corner of the hamlet, at the crossroads of Sideroad 3 (the Massie Road) and Concession 6 (Veteran’s Road). Alexander purchased 10 acres in 1862 from William Winter, who owned the 100 acre farm at this corner. A saw mill was built in 1859 along with the original mill dam. Then came a flour mill, reputed to be one of the best in the country, followed by a grist mill. In the early days community meetings, concerts and teas were held at the mill. While the mill buildings no longer exist, the scenic mill pond and dam as well as the wooden water wheel still grace the hamlet. Community life thrives in the active Massie United Church (Methodist)-1895 and the original Massie Hall -1965 (former S.S.S.#11, Holland and Sydenham -1871). Massie has been described because of its setting in the Bighead River Valley on a misty day as the “Brigadoon” of Grey County. 

Coodinator: Marjorie Davison 519.538.3408

 Location: Massie Hall, Village of Massie [crossroads of Massie Road and N Veterans Way [Concession 6 Sideroad 3]

All are welcome to join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment