Saturday, April 12, 2014

Grey County Historical Society Heritage Certificate of Recognition 2014

The Grey County Historical Society is pleased to announce that two Heritage Certificates of Recognition will be awarded at its 47th annual dinner in Keady on May 21st. One will be awarded to Barry Joseph More and the other to the County of Grey. This is the seventh year that the Society will award certificates that honour and recognize a work or works of heritage by an individual, organization, institution or business that have made a significant contribution to the promotion or preservation of the history of Grey County. More has purchased five houses built in the late 1800s to preserve these historic buildings. The Effrim Harrison is located at the Pottawatomi River Bridge. The “Eastcliff”, the 1908 Edward Brigham home, also known as the Manjuris mansion is located on the east hill. He owns the 1869 William Neeland’s home, across from his property. Eleven years ago, he purchased the 1891 Morley Lemon home. A favourite of his is the 1874 Maitland house across the road from the former Grey County Court House.



In 2012, More wrote A Thing of Beauty to tell the history of the house and gardens at Morland Place. He also shared his views on the importance of preserving our historical places.





The County of Grey is being recognized for restoring Culvert 21 or the Henderson Heritage Bridge.The bridge was originally constructed to carry rail traffic on the Toronto Grey and Bruce Railway that eventually became the C.P.R. line from Toronto to Owen Sound. It is believed that the bridge was completed in 1873. Grey County Council and its Planning Department are being recognized for preserving a unique and culturally important piece of our history and taking the leap of faith to proceed. The nomination submission documents this project.




Please join us at our annual dinner to congratulate our award winners. Advance tickets only and must be purchased by May 7th. Contact us at info@greycountyhs.ca or 519-376-2015

to find out how you may purchase them. The evening costs $25.00. Non-members are certainly welcome to attend. Oh yes, our guest speaker is Bill Murdoch, speaking about his experience in municipal and provincial politics.
Wednesday, May 21
5:30 to 6:30 social hour --- book tables; slide show of highlights and upcoming year
6:30 call to dinner -- Roast beef buffet
Award presentation
Speaker



Sunday, April 6, 2014

March 2014 meeting at the Salvation Army

The March meeting was fun! Major David Kennedy began by giving us a quiz to test our knowledge of the Salvation Army and the local church. He wove the answers to the questions into his presentation.

The Salvation Army first arrived in Owen Sound on February 17, 1884. After meeting in temporary quarters, the first Citadel was built in 1886 at 974 3rd Ave. East. The founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth came from England to North America and during his travels, he opened the new building on October 31, 1886. This would have been an exciting day for the members of the local corps. The first building had an ornate design. The building was renovated twice.







In 1974, the Salvation Army left that site. The only reminder today of the presence at that location is a Interpretive Plaque near the municipal parking lot.

After a year, holding services at Dufferin Public School the congregation moved to the 14th Street location. This community church is very busy offering in addition to religious services, Sunday School and other church groups, social services. Several days a week, seniors come for lunch. Meals on wheels  meals are prepared in the church kitchen. Their community food bank is one of the social services they offer.

Church historian, Mike Raynsford displayed several scrapbooks that tell the story of the local Salvation Army church. He has taken boxes of photographs and newspaper articles and organized them chronologically  in many binders. 



sketch and photographs are from Scrapbook #1. These are only a sampling of what is included in the binder. Thank you for giving me permission to scan items included in the binder.

To enlarge the photo of the band. Click on it and press CTRL and the plus sign at the same time. Many of the men from the Salvation Army Band served in the First World War.